Sunday 27 July 2014

Scandinavian Summer

No rest for the wicked, as they say!

Susan was offered an amazing opportunity to work in Sweden this summer doing fieldwork on Flycatchers (small black and white birds). Everything was a little rushed as due to our adventures in Scotland, and a few busy weekends, she lost track of time and was once again reduced to last minute packing! She almost left me behind!

We flew to Stockholm then caught the train to Uppsala, where she was spending the weekend before journeying south to the research area on Ă–land. We had a lovely time exploring this city, which has a rich history. 














During the field season, I didn't get out much as Susan was so busy with the birds. I was most upset when she left me behind on her day off, when the team went to explore the north of the island. Still not really forgiven her for that! I did get out a couple of times though.
The first was an afternoon when we went snake hunting at Ismanstorp, an ancient ringfort near one of the fieldwork sites. Fortunately for me, they didn't find any snakes, but because of the time of year, there were many, many orchids flowering in the field. I couldn't resist having a sniff of a few, as well as posing beside a baby Oak tree... on seeing the photo, Susan's dad suggested that she take me back in a few years and let me sit in one of it's branches! Brilliant idea, Andy!

The second was a trip to the mainland city of Kalmar, where we visited the castle. Now, you all know me, I have a thing for cannons, so I couldn't resist climbing up for a better look. The view was pretty nice too, aiming the cannons towards the south end of the channel.


 At the end of the field season, we returned to Uppsala for a weekend before touring for a bit. This time, I got to go looking for Vikings, and was happy to spend a day at Gamla Uppsala, or Old Uppsala. This site has many burial mounds for ancient kings, which are quite hard to walk up (thankfully, Susan had my rucksack with her so I hitched a ride on her back).









In the background of some of these photos you can see the spire of Uppsala  Cathedral, which dominates the very flat landscape.

After a weekend in Uppsala, we made a 24 hour stop in Stockholm, where unfortunately we were so busy sightseeing that Susan didn't actually take that many photos! Here is one of my from the City Hall (where they award the Nobel Prizes every year).
Susan was very happy though, because she managed to finally see a Swedish Moose at the Open Air Museum called Skansen. I just wish we'd had enough time to explore it fully because we literally ran round the Native Animals part (it was fun watching the bear cubs play rough and tumble), then had to go back to pick up bags for our next venture.

As if spending the whole summer doing bird work wasn't enough, Susan had decided to volunteer at a Bird Ringing Observatory called Kvismare. She must be crazy as she was getting up at 2am to go out ringing every day! You'll be pleased to know that I retained some sanity and enjoyed snoozing until she got back at around 10, when she would go back to bed for a few hours, leaving me to explore outside. I was amazed at the different birds they had here compared to what we have at home, and made friends with some of the locals.

Thankfully, this craziness only lasted a week, then we were back on the train (a double decker!) and this time heading to Oslo. Having a little more time here, Susan actually remembered to take some photos, and we had a great time exploring the city while trying to stay cool. I think that was the plan when we visited the Fram museum, dedicated to Polar exploration. I made a few furry friends with the bears and tried my hand at sailing the ship (someone forgot to lift the anchor so we didn't get very far!)

On our last day in Scandinavia Susan decided to visit the Natural History Museum, but it didn't open til 11am! So we spent a couple of hours wandering around the Botanical Gardens which surround it, and I had a lovely time relaxing on this grassy sofa.
I also made a new friend that reminds me of the owls in the Harry Potter films. My friend was on a perch in the cafe courtyard and seemed most annoyed at everyone enjoying fresh cookies, cakes and waffles without sharing them with him. I was also conscious that if he was feeling hungry, I might become a snack, so we left him to his jealousy and went in search of more ancient friends.
I spoke too soon! Not sure if we found Rexy, or if Rexy found us, but either way, I was gobbled! Thankfully, after many years of display, he was missing a few teeth so I managed to escape without losing a limb!
All these adventures had taken their toll on me, and I found a really cosy bed to have a snooze in while Susan was having a look around. Unfortunately, the occupant came back before I could get comfy and I had to beat a hasty retreat before being gobbled again! What is it with all these museum pieces wanting to eat me?










 Anyway, we both made it back to Scotland in one piece. Don't know about Susan, but I'm all journeyed out for now - looking forward to a few months at home getting back into routine and catching up with all my old pals.

No comments:

Post a Comment